02 March 2010

Studio diary: day 14

Short Friday afternoon session to finish Jorge's solos before he returned to Spain on Saturday morning. He had prepared everything well this time, so it was mainly a matter of finding the right amp sound and reamping the tracks accordingly until it was marked as perfect.

We are slowly getting an awful lot of tracks, almost more than the last record alltogether. "Cosmonaut" has already over 70 and the vocals are yet to come. It's gonna be a lot of fun for Gonzalo, the mixer, I tell you. Sometimes you can get lost amidst so many colorful blocks of sound on the monitors, and I'm beginning to forget what has been already recorded and what is still missing. Thanks god I always have a piece of paper and a pen to write down exactly what we've been doing, otherwise this could be called "The Chaos Sessions" (hmm, nice title for the album, I'll write it down on the list, too).

After finishing with all the guitar parts (by now) of the record, we still had time to do some vocals, this time less rushed and more seriously than last time. "Ink" was the chose one, not exactly an easy tune to sing/scream, but I think we got it really fine. Tired of standing all the time while doing vocals and getting tired during the playbacks, I decided I'd try recording them sitting. Not what you'd call academically correct, but it suits me just fine. I feel more confortable singing while sitting than standing, and that's how I've always recorded my vocals for the demos at home, which I feel always sound better than on record later.

Of course, this time I forgot the lyrics sheet once again, so it was "mole time" again, with my trying to read very small letters on a phone screen while pressing my eyes so hard to read that I probably looked like a Chinese with constipation...

Anyway, now it will be vocals time for the next session, let's see if I can manage to finish at least two full songs each time and get this bloody record finished once and for all, I want it to be out there as soon as possible, as I hope you want too.

Cheers,

St

Songs recorded (Feb 26)
Instead: guitar
Cosmonaut: guitar
Eye In The Sky: guitar
Ink: vocals

No comments: