26 March 2010

Studio diary: day 17


Damn, almost forgot to write this entry. My head is filled with a zillion things right now. Like for example, how the fuck we're gonna call this album, but that's another story and will be told on another occasion.

Anyway, short Friday morning session at D&S Studio with Daniel still tweaking knobs and that. Daniel insisted on starting at 10, anything else was officially against the Geneva Convention, so he said. For me that was a rather late start, with small kids waking you up at 6.30 o 7 there was a gap in between, but I accepted anyway. And so we found ourselves singing the first song of the day at five past 10, "The Wounds Inside". Went pretty good, not too much to bitch about, this one is rather confortable to sing (unlike "Cosmonaut" or "Eye In The Sky", more on that one later). Main vocals and harmonies were finished before 11 and we took a break to try some crazy percussion shit on it, but I'm still not too sure about it. As usual, we'll leave that to the mixing stage (old musician's joke).

"Don't Lose Your Head" was next on the list, and also went by like a hurricane, finished before I could really start enjoying it. As there are no harmonies on it (wow, novelty) we could dive straight into our cover, "Eye In The Sky". As I said, officially a bitch to sing, full of low tones and funny modulations, and, more importantly, silly lyrics to sing, with too many words on a line. I should have thought about that before choosing it, fuck it, now I'm lumped with a throat- and tongue-breaker.

It took me almost one and a half hours to get it decently right, by which time it was already time to go. I was rather relieved to have finished that one. But this afternoon I have what will probably be the last vocals session (just "Seattle Girl" is missing) and we can take a listen to all the other ones and decide if anything has to be fixed. Well, not if, but what has to be fixed. Did I say already that I hate recording vocals? Still no good-looking girl or fucking ugly dude around that want the job? The pay is miserable and you travel a lot, think about it...

More about today's session later in the, erm, week I guess. I'm getting lazy with this diary, and on top of it, we've received many a complaint on why it's not in Spanish. So I'll have to translate it one of these day's into Cervantes' mother tongue in order to keep my people happy. And no, before someone else frowns, I'm not going to do a German version as well, sorry. I'll leave that to Timo, hehe.

St

Songs recorded (Mar 19):
The Wounds Inside: vocals, percussion
Don't Lose Your Head: vocals
Eye In The Sky: vocals

No comments: