24 February 2010

Studio diary: day 13

A very short Saturday afternoon session, just three hours. So here's an accordingly short diary entry. Jorge basically finished his rhythm guitar parts for "Cosmonaut" and "Instead" in the blink of an eye, and he also played a memorable solo for the first one, the solo for "Instead" still waiting to be eaten, chewed and puked on tape.

We also tried a few curious sound effects for the intro of "Cosmonaut", involving Jorge and myself playing on the same guitar. Well, thanks god we can afford a guitar each, otherwise it can get quite busy on the fretboard at times.


Without really having mentally prepared myself for it, I found myself singing the first song, "Instead". Jorge needs my vocals to play the solo accordingly, so it was my turn to deliver the goods in order to keep the flow. I didn't even have my lyrics sheet at hand, so I had to fumble through my mobile phone to find an early draft of the lyrics I had saved there once. Not exactly the best way to sing when you have to squeeze your eyes to read stupid tiny-written words on a tiny screen. I'm not exactly the kind of guy known for remembering his own lyrics, so it was a funny sight indeed…


The clock was ticking and we had just about 40 minutes left before leaving, so it was a hit & run vocals recording,

main and harmonies. I'm not too sure if I will have to redo them again, I was completely off-guard and cold, but we'll have to listen back next week. At least our guitar hero can now hear how the melody goes and record his mind-blowing solo. I think you will love it, I do.


St


Songs recorded (Feb 20)

Cosmonaut: guitars

Instead: guitars, vocals










No comments: