11 July 2007

So long ago...

Yesterday I spent a few hours recording old MiniDisc demos into the computer. There was a lot of crazy stuff from around 1999-2000, including very early demos of Sovereign's Crown, Berlin, The World's In B&W, Mars Is Waiting and a bunch of pre-productions of Why Cow?, Sugar And Caffeine, Frames Of The Past and similar shit from that time.

Some was recorded with my old but precious Yamaha cassette four-track (a gift from Jorge), some was done with the band during summer of 2000, with Miguelo on drums, Jorge on guitars, and me on everything else (that was during a short bassist-less period where I had to take the duties of the four-strings on stage). Funny times, and very creative ones indeed. Sometimes I miss the old fashioned way of demoing ideas, just pressing "rec" on the cassette recorder and playing and singing the first shit that came to my head. Nowadays, with so much digital recorders and the search for perfection (even in lousy demos), some of that old spark gets lost in the way, and you tend to overthink the songs too much. Shit, I think I'm bringing out the mic and the MiniDisc out again to keep it ready... (the cassette recorder died long ago).

I also found some very interesting riffs and ideas I had completely forgot. There's a way cool one of me fucking around with a distorted 12-string Rickenbacker which sounds killer even after all this time. Gotta bring it out again.

Ah, I'm getting sentimental...

No comments: