24 August 2006

Recording the new album - Day Ten

An afternoon solely devoted to doing vocals. Urgh! We didn’t have much time, so after filling a cup of soja milk to prepare the throat for all bad things to come we started right away with “Scent”, which went pretty well. But first I had to listen back to the demo to write down the lyrics. I can never remember the lyrics to it, not even to save my life. It’s pretty simple, actually, perhaps that’s why I keep messing with the order and never getting anything right. I’m a lyric disaster, I really envy singers who can always rememebr every single line of fucking long songs. One that comes to mind is Greg Graffin from Bad Religion. Have you ever seen the guy live and read the lyrics? Have you ever noticed that they play a million songs at each gig? And that the guy still remembers every line? That is simply amazing. I wish one day I won’t have to use a teleprompter like Axl Rose… that was lame.

Scribbled lyrics

“Off The Tide” was a drag to do. It’s got so many high-pitched spots and my throat was already so fucked that we needed quite some time to get it right. I should stop writing melodies that are not possible to sing, I must do like Rivers Cuomo from Weezer, keeping it simple and effective. By the way, their last album Make Believe was incredible (go get it, kids!).

After being completely sore we jumped into “Time”, which was way easier o do in comparison. It’s a shorter song and we got it nailed quite fast, so we had some time and energy at the end to try a few ad-lib vocals. Screams, I rather call’em. You’ll hear what I mean when the album comes out. Talking of album, we already have a possible title for it, but must chew it for a while to decide. After Allergic, we should call it Anesthesiac, Contagious, Forensic or something like that… I mean, if Metallica got away with Load and Reload anything goes, don’t you think?

Scribbled singer

Songs done:
“Scent”: vocals
“Off The Tide”: vocals
“Time”: vocals

No comments: