12 December 2009

Studio diary: day 3

And then they were three... Friday evening and we're down in a hole making noise. Tobi calls me to say he and Daniel will be arriving a little later, so when I park in the yard and see no lights whatsoever, I wait for them in the car and listen to some radio. And listen to some radio. And check my mails. And take a look around Facebook and chat a while. And listen to more radio. And call Tobi to ask where the fuck he is, but to no avail. And check my mails again. And start freezing. And curse. And freeze a little more. And then I text Daniel and 30 seconds later he emerges from the basement, and with his best south German accent asks me what the fuck I'm doing out there, they're already recording. Inside my head, I prepare the acceptance speech for the Idiot Of The Year Award, which I'm possibly going to receive after that. I swear the lights were off and there wasn't any other car parked there. I should check my contact lenses, my eyes and while I'm at it, my brain, too.

Anyway, when I get down there Tobi's already sweating. He's done a few takes of "Ink", but none's a keeper. He's recording to the reference guitar I did last time, so I'm free to talk with Daniel while Tobi's inside the booth losing some calories banging the drums.

Recording drums the old way is a fine and difficult art, no editing allowed, and if he fucks it up on the very last note, that means it has to be done again from the top. Very cruel. So after a few fuckups in the very last note, Tobi digs deep down into his curse reserve and lets out the most incredibly vulgar sounding German curses you can imagine. Really funny to watch and listen to, a true literature class. But that really helps him focus and on the next take, he bloody nails it. Chapeau, mister. This is going to be a powerful song when it's finished, man, mark my words.

Then it's time to move on to the last planned drum recording by now. A song called "Vertigo", which we already tried during the Not Completely Clean sessions but abandoned after a few takes, not being really sure about the arrangement we had. But this time I've done my homework and the song is ready and approved to be recorded. Tobi drums to a home demo, so no guitar raping on my my side, just sit and watch the guy play as he can do, a total pleasure for the ears (as long as you're not too close.)
By half past ten we're finished (especially Tobi) and ready to go home. It's fucking freezing in Berlin. My bed is waiting, comfy, warm and dry. And no drums on my head...

Songs recorded:
Ink: drums (finished)
Vertigo: drums


No comments: