20 October 2008

UELZEN 04.Oct.08 Café komma



After a long run from Berlin we got to Uelzen. I didn't believe it until then, but it's true: Uelzen is like 90km away from the closest highway. Yes, in Germany.

If you like fairy tales you'll feel good in Uelzen. A beautiful village where every house looks like a chocolate shop.

Café Komma is a little club that has all you need to have fun. Yes: All.

We got there at the right time and everything was ready. Well, Tobi was at the other side of Germany so he got to the bar, let's say just before the show, so we had to check the sound without him. Not a lot to check, really. We just got sure everything was ok and that was it.

Then we had some food, some drink, and waited for our moment. I have to say Tobi is a real gentleman: he arrived when we were waiting for him. Not sooner. Not later.



Not a lot of people for the gig. But they all wanted to have fun and we tried to satisfy them. Well, don't take that last sentence too seriously.

The sound was good and nothing failed, if we don't count the things that failed. We played that new song that I had never played before (Seattle Girl) and... it was right (Hahaha).

So we ended the show and did what we use to do in that situations: to drink until we can't say "parallelepiped". It was easy: they didn't let us pay for anything. And not happy with that they systematically gifted us with the strangest and most varied shots. Drinks whose names I can't remember. And beer. And a neverending stream of cuba libres. Stone and I tried to escape from this going to the closest bar around and drinking a pair of beers like the locals. It was impossible. We didn't look like them. So we went back to the Café Komma and, as some of them wanted to refine their Spanish, gave some advices here and there. I just hope they won't use what they learned there to get a job... Unless that job is in a "Spanish for drunk people academy". The line between "A smart Spanish accent" and "drunk's verbiage" can be very thin, you know.


And... suddenly I noticed that all the other band members had gone to sleep. Well, Tobi, not happy with the 600km he had driven 'till there, went back to Berlin right after the show. Well, right after three or four beers after the show. Just to rehydrate his tired drummer body. Timo and Sunny had gone to bed long ago and Stone just disappeared. Fortunately everybody (but me) knew where we had to sleep so, after they told me, I said goodbye in my best German to all the nice people we met there and drifted to the house in the most traditional sailor way. I knocked the door once and again... and again... and again and when I started thinking I'd have to go back to the bar in the cold night (well, it was like 30 meters away from the house), Timo heard me and managed to drive himself to the door and opened it for me (Timo, I'll never forget it).

We woke up in the morning covered with dog hair. I'm a little upset with that... poor dogs... Where did they sleep? It was a cold night. I hope they survived.

We tried to have breakfast but it wasn't easy. We found a bowling club and asked for something from the strange menue. We all asked for the same thing that resulted to be a tortilla of like 9 eggs (for each one), after that, we drove to Berlin, downloaded the gear and, somehow, I woke up the next morning in my room (well, in Diana's room. Thank you, Diana. One day I hope I'll be able to do something for you and show you how thankful I am).

I don't want to say goodbye without thanking each and everyone in the Café Komma for being so nice with us, and each and everyone who came and helped us to have a real funny night in Uelzen.


And... that's all folks. Don't forget not to forget to forget this: Life is to short to spend it reading my rock star experiences. Go, join a band and you will also have something to tell to people who aren't really interested in it. As Elbert Garmundel(*) said: If you don't take the risk, don't expect to fail.

* Dr. Prof. Elbert Garmundel is, officially, the most famous unknown person alive, and unofficially, our guru and inspiration in all the fields of alternative reality.

No comments: