24 October 2005

Mudd (Cavern) Club

Last Friday we felt what it should have been like to play the Cavern Club in Liverpool way back in 1961. The Mudd Club, located in Berlin's heart and soul Mitte, is as cool as the old Cavern. It's small, it's damp, it's got a vaulted ceiling and it's way too loud. Simply great! We were on the bill with the Italian band Verdena, which I recommend to take a good listen, their latest album being "Il Suicidio Dei Samurai", including some really great tunes (Luna and Elephant being my favourites.)

The frogs at the Cavern?

After soundcheck we all went to an "American diner" kind of restaurant near the club, and as usual in all those kind of hip places, the service really sucks and it's way too slow. I even managed to disappear and go for a beer somewhere else inbetween... Typical. For this gig we had rehearsed a very brand new song by the title of "What's The Voltage William?" to start the show. Voltage was written a few years ago but I'd never played before. The stupid title came when former drummer Miguelo and me were talking about REM's "What's The Frequency Kenneth" as one of the silliest but somehow cooler song names ever, when I said "Yeah, I'm gonna write one called What's The Voltage William so that it sounds like two nerds in a physics laboratory." And so I did, and a few weeks later I had finished the song. I wasn't sure about the title at all, as the lyrics are about something else, but Timo liked it, so we kept it. Anyway, the songs rocks.

Tobi

The rest of the gig went quite well, except for the final chorus of Throwing Up where the Orange box from the Verdena guys got fucked up and we had to finish the song in a drum'n bass style. Always open for new sounds, this little band...

Then it was Verdena's turn, and man, was it LOUD!! Already during thekir soundcheck, the owner of the club (a fragile-looking old guy) was asking the sound tech if it was possible to turn the goddamm thing down a bit, or if that would affect the sound. Great! I love it when owners or neighbours start complaining about the volume, it's so very fuckyouthisisrockandrooooollmotherfucker!

Stone

I finished at a friend's flat near the club at 5 a.m. with a few other Spanish friends, sipping a cool Mexican-style Bailey's made with tequila and coffee and listening to (and worse than that, providing) a neverending series of the worst jokes ever. But it was a laugh anyway, and I went home with a silly grin, a sore throat and ringing ears. Just as it should be.

Love & shampoo,

Stone

Timo

No comments: